Thursday, June 23, 2011

Transplanting the Herbs

At the end of May, I finally got around to planting an herb garden.  For Christmas 2009 I got an herb planting kit that I had always meant to use.  With my new gardening kick it seemed to be the perfect time.

I began them indoors, in a tray full of tiny peat pots: basil, oregano, cilantro, chives, parsley, thyme, and dill.  They all sprouted much earlier than the seed packets indicated.  For a while they had been growing lustily, but in recent days had really slowed down.  So I figured it was time to transplant them to larger containers.  During my kid's afternoon nap I had a date with some hand-me-down containers, potting soil, and some water.

I'll be hardening these off over the next week or so.  The weather forecast is for near triple digits, so I'll need to keep them well watered.  Hopefully transplanting them in the peat pots will help alleviate some of the transplant shock.  In any case I made sure to get at least two of each plant, so even if one dies I'll still have the other.

Here's hoping this goes better than the radish debacle of 2011!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Eeek! I planted radishes this year, thinking they'd be easy. I hope the Radish Debacle of Aught Eleven never materializes.