Friday, June 17, 2011

Nice Little Surprise

The other night we took a short family walk around our "downtown."  As a city girl transplant, it's a bit of a stretch for me to call Main Street of a population 2000 mountain villa "downtown," but I guess that's what it is.  What was really encouraging was seeing how many new businesses have opened in the past few months.  Signs of a recovering economy?  We can hope!

Anyway, I wanted to see what was up with a new art gallery and store here called Independent.  It was 5:15 PM, so the store was closed, but I could easily see what was on display through the windows.  A tiny selection of fabric, watercolors, canvas, various tchotchkes, handcrafted jewelry, and adorable toddler dresses.  I couldn't immediately make out what was on the table below the dresses, but soon I realized what they were.  Cloth diapers!

You guys!  Here is an actual brick-and-mortar store in my town (median age 49) selling cloth diapers!  My town in my county, where the board of supervisors recently got into serious discussions over sustainability practices potentially being un-American and subversive!

My family cloth diapers.  It has saved us oodles of money, and at the same time supports work-at-home moms who sew the diaper covers we buy.  IF we have another child, and IF this business is still operating at that time I can be super stoked to support a local business at the same time.

No comments: