Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lesson Learned

One of the things that I am trying to learn how to do is vegetable container gardening.  We don't have a real garden area, and no way to keep the critters out of the veggies if we planted them in the ground.  Instead, I've been using mostly found containers to grow various veggies.

Being a novice, I decided to try radishes.  I figured that they were notoriously easy and fast growing, so I'd get a quick reward for sticking with something.

Wrong.  

Today I was supposed to harvest my first "crop."  The radishes didn't develop!  I had beautiful tops, but zero radishes.  I turned to my personal horticulturalist, Google, for answers.

It was too hot.  I misjudged the radish's ability to withstand the blistering temperatures of a foothill spring.  It got all the way up into the 80s.  *sigh*

So no radishes yet.  And nothing else for another couple of months.  So there won't be a quick reward for my efforts.  But now I know better, and I'll make sure to pay closer attention to when I need to plant my crops.

No comments: